Children Pray for the Nations
After the terrorist attack in Paris, my heart was broken. I couldn’t imagine the immense fear and hurt the people of Paris were experiencing. How could we annihilate ISIS? How could I protect my family? Is it safe to attend events with big crowds? The spirit of God in me quickly reminded me that this has been going on since the Old Testament (remember the king going through the city killing all the Israelite babies???). Evil is evil. The tricks of the devil have not ceased and people are still willing to carry out his desire for destruction. I just didn’t have 24 hour media coverage or Facebook to give me video, pictures, and the latest number of injuries and deaths.
He reminded me that He NEVER gave me a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7). So what could I do? PRAY. Teach the children to pray. Teach the children to pray for the nations. When children pray for others, God becomes bigger than any terrorist attack. When children pray for the nations, the world no longer revolves around them. When children pray for the nations, their global view becomes bigger than the United States of America.
I put together a quick hands on activity for the children and wanted to share it here.
Let us teach our children to pray that hearts be healed, eyes be opened, and the light of Jesus Christ be seen through the church!
- Find a map, globe, or printout of the world.
- Cut out the eyes and hearts that are provided to you with this activity -> Eyes & Hearts
- Get a flashlight and tape.
- Explain to your child that people who have been tricked by the devil are doing mean things to harm and hurt others (for older children who have seen the news, you can discuss a specific event, i.e. Paris, Syria etc.). Explain that this is NOT God’s desire.
- Explain to your child that God hears their prayers, and we should pray for those who have been hurt and those who are carrying out the evil acts.
- Queue up “We Speak to Nation” by Lakewood Church as you begin your time with God. We Speak to Nations Video
Lead them in prayer as they tape the hearts on specific countries on the globe or map. They can repeat after you.
“Dear God, I ask that you heal the brokenhearted and bandage up their wounds (Psalm 147:3) in Jesus’ name.”
Lead them in prayer as they tape the eyes on specific countries on the globe or map. They can repeat after you.
“Open the eyes of those who have been blinded by the devil (2 Corinthians 4:4). I declare their eyes and hearts be open to the love of the Most High God in Jesus’ name.”
Lead them in prayer as they shine light on specific countries on the globe or map. They can repeat after you.
“Jesus, let the church so shine before men, that they see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven (Matthew 5:16).”
I would love to see pictures of your children praying for the nations! Send them in and I’ll be sure to add them here!
The All in Mom