4th Grade in China – Electing a class monitor
This PBS special caught my attention a few years ago and I wanted to share it here. Take a look at a 4th grade class electing a class monitor for the first time. The students running for the position must prepare a speech and debate their opponent in front of the class.
Why does this matter? Our students must be prepared to compete on a global level. Companies now take applications from around the globe!!
Pay close attention to the following:
- The interaction between the parents and student – “Do you feel confident now?”
- The ability to defend themselves with words not actions
- The ability to debate/prove their point
- When the student validates his area of weakness – “Being talkative is a way of communicating.”
- When the student tells the class to quiet down
It’s a very interest environment. How would my student respond when his opponent, looks him in his eye and says, “You don’t have what it takes!”
Would love to hear your feedback!